Sep 5, 2012

What is a Parrothead?

September 5 - Write about your favorite play or concert you've attended.

Urban Dictionary's first entry for the definition of Parrothead is this:

A Parrothead is a fan of Jimmy Buffett (there is no other meaning). The typical parrothead is pictured to wear a Hawaiian shirt, flip-flops, and other tropical attire, and to enjoy drinking margaritas on the beach. Parrotheads often decorate their homes in tropical motifs. In general the life of a parrothead is one of relaxation and being on a permanent mental vacation even while at work.
 Parrotheads even have their own official website and issue "State of the Phlock" yearly reports.

Now, I bet you can guess what my favorite concert has been. You're right---Jimmy Buffett. We've actually seen him twice. The first time was in Tempe, Arizona, at a small, outdoor venue around 1983. We brought in jugs of wine and sat on the grass while Jimmy and the Coral Reefer band played. Nobody knew at the time just how much of a following Jimmy would gather as the years passed.


Fast forward to 2008. We've bought all the releases that JB has put out over the years. We've even read a couple of his books. Our two children, now late teens, know the lyrics to many of his songs. The four of us got tickets to a concert in San Diego. This time, the arena was huge, although still outdoors, but with reserved seating in addition to a grassy section. My husband got us passes into the VIP pre-concert area where we could buy drinks and food.

One of the badges we each wore to get entrance to the VIP Party.
The parking lot was packed with partiers that had set up tailgating unlike none I've ever seen. I think people even brought in their own sand to make beaches. There was volleyball, pirate regalia, and lots of tropical attire. Cheeseburgers were the food of the evening.

A large button advertising the new beer label of Margaritaville Brewing Co.

While my husband and I sat in the reserved seating---well, "sit" is a relative term because most of the crowd was on its feet dancing---our two kids sat in the "grass" section. They said they had never seen so many adults smoking pot.

One of the kids wore this hat. I think it was Colin.

Even though the venues had changed, Jimmy Buffett still sang his trademarked clever lyrics and brought the people to their feet. It's one concert our family will not forget.

Wastin' away again in Margaritaville
Searching for my lost shaker of salt
Some people claim that there's a woman to blame
But I know it's nobody's fault


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great experience! All these posts are making me want to see a concert lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can jam out to Margaritaville any time I hear it! I'd like to see him live!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jimmy Buffet brings back memories of my childhood. I haven't seen him in concert but I have been to his restaurant in Key West :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!