May 12, 2012

Love in Rural Kansas

When was the last time you attended a wedding on a farm? What's that, you haven't? You should try it some time.

My husband, son and I drove to eastern Kansas from central New Mexico to attend my nephew's wedding. My brother's oldest son, who just happens to be a few months younger than my daughter, was marrying his sweetheart. The wedding was being held at the bride's family farm.


As you can see, this is a working farm, complete with a red barn. They grow wheat and soybeans. Coming from arid New Mexico, I was impressed with the lush Kansas fields. I can just imagine those golden heads of wheat waving in the summer breezes. What a romantic I am. It is very labor intensive to run a farm, and from what I hear there is little in the way of summer breezes.


We had some interesting---well, not if you are on a farm---wedding guests. These particular guests cackled at their own jokes. And the one standout was the real turkey of the bunch.



Then there was this poor fellow. You would think with all that hay behind him he would not be in this condition today.



Seriously, the wedding was lovely. The bride was radiant and the groom was groomly. I don't know the traditional way to describe a groom: perplexed, nervous, proud, anxious to get out of his monkey suit. My nephew seemed so self-possessed that I had a hard time guessing his state of mind, but he was obviously in love with the soon-to-be Mrs. Kehoe.


The bridal party posed for photo shoots along with a motley assorted group of family and guests. No poultry this time. As is often the case, the scene stealer was the flower girl who performed her duty with aplomb.



One of the highlights of the trip for me was getting to hold my new grand-nephew. He was so accomodating to be held by strangers. Being passed around from one member of the family to another provided him the attention only a five-month-old demands. Even I succombed to his darling-ness. Boy, it had been a long time since I held one this age. My baby just turned 21. Years.


I'd like to hear some of your wedding stories. What was it about your story that makes that wedding your favorite?

Leave me a comment below.

3 comments:

  1. what a wonderful gathering and you tell the story so well! i love the sweater you were wearing! did you crochet it? thanks for sharing a bit of your life. later i will share my own memories of my favorite wedding. . .(its time for bed right now,)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha about the sweater. It turned out to be a chilly, windy, drizzly morning, and all I had was a sleeveless dress. I ran into a store and found this on clearance. Grabbed it up and stuck a yellow flower pin on it. The day cleared up though for the wedding which was perfect.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful backdrop for a wedding! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    Blessings, Grace

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!